With summer having just started and temperatures in Michigan reaching 80 and 90s, I have to slightly adjust my makeup routine. In the summer I want to make sure that my makeup is not too heavy, that I let my skin breathe and add some natural color to my face thanks to the sun (although I know sun rays are bad for your skin and that’s why before applying any makeup I always protect my skin with a moisturizer containing an SPF filter).
Today I am sharing with you a few simple tips and products that will ensure that your makeup looks fresh even in the high temperatures and that it doesn’t melt away in the sun.
1. Prime! Priming is a key to my summer makeup routine. Before I put on any makeup I apply a thin coat of a face primer. This will help your foundation not only last longer but also keep your skin shine and oil free. My top picks are Becca Ever-matte Poreless Priming Perfector and Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray. I also prime my eyes to make sure my eyeshadow doesn’t crease through the day. My two favorites are Nars Pro-prime Smudge proof Eyshadow Base and Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion.
2. Switch to a lighter foundation. A full coverage foundation is perfect for winter months or for some special events but in the summer I prefer to go lighter. High heat and full coverage foundation can make your face look cakey. If your skin doesn’t have any major problems, scars or blemishes, I’d even opt for a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream.
3. Waterproof eyeshadow. For my everyday summer eye makeup I like to keep it simple and Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoos let me do just that. I have raved about them before and expressed my love for that formula. With a huge selection of shades everyone can pick a color they like and, trust me, once you put this cream formula on, it is not going anywhere.
4. Waterproof mascara. I use a waterproof mascara all year long because my eyes are very sensitive and water easily but to avoid a not so attractive panda eye syndrome, I’d recommend a waterproof formula to anyone. A good waterproof mascara will endure even a swim in the pool and contact with water. My top two picks are Maybelline Volume Express The Falsies and Bourjois 1 Second Volume mascara.
5. Tinted Lipgloss. Skip a heavy formula lipstick and go for a light colored moisturizing lipgloss. It won’t look messy even in the high heat and you don’t need a mirror to apply it. Yet, your lips will be protected from drying out, will look juicy and moisturized. My current favorite is Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain.
6. Setting spray. After all my makeup is done I complete it with a few spritz of a makeup setting spray. It will prevent your makeup from budging and melting away even in the scorching sun. My recommendation- Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray. (It’s available in a travel size as well so you can buy a small bottle and test it out and it will definitely last you all summer).
Here they are, my tips for maintaining fresh looking makeup even in the high heat. Do you have any tips on how to summer proof your makeup? Do you use different products in the summer? Do share.
P.S. I am on Twitter now so follow Agata@herandmakeup.
Agata, the founder and editor of Her and Makeup.